Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Letter of Introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone

I am writing this letter to introduce myself due to the lack of opportunity to do so in class. My name is Neo Cen Wei, but addressing me as Cen Wei will do. I am a first year civil engineering student attending your communication module, CVE 1281 Effective Communication.

Prior to my university studies, I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a Diploma in Civil Engineering with Business in 2017. My time in the course has reignited a childhood interest in me for civil engineering, and said interest currently serves as a motivating factor for me throughout my gruelling days of study in university.

What does not serve as a motivating factor for me however is my lack of communication skills daily. I have trouble keeping a conversation going or even starting one, for during times like that my mind just draws a blank. It has always been my weakness since young, and despite having seen improvements over the years, I feel that there is still much room for improvement.

On the other hand, I am quite confident in my ability to articulate and bring points or ideas across to other people. Naturally, it was not all smooth sailing, as I have failed to articulate ideas effectively before. Nevertheless, I am learning from my mistakes and improving myself as I go.

However, I believe that learning and improvement need not be only through mistakes. With this communication module, I hope to hone my communication skills and become a confident communicator in both spoken and written forms. As such, I look forward to the upcoming classes.

Best regards

Neo Cen Wei

Commented on:
Justin
Zyn

6 comments:

  1. Dear Cen Wei,

    I really admire your motivation to keep on pushing in University because I am having some trouble motivating myself sometimes. Your letter is very descriptive and I enjoyed reading it.

    I respect your decision to face your fear through this module and I must admit that sometimes my mind will went blank as well. However, we should not let it hold us back.

    In general I feel that your letter is well written but I found some really minor mistakes below:
    "is my lack of communication skills on a daily basis..." you might just want to change this to "daily"
    "I hope to hone my communication skills and become a confident communicator on both spoken and written form...." It seems that "forms" will be more agreeable with "skills".

    I look forward to reading more of your writings in the future.

    Best wishes,
    Derrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Derrick

      Thank you for taking your time to read through my letter, and I am glad to see that you enjoyed reading it.

      I am also thankful for your suggestions and have implemented it accordingly. Please do highlight it to me if you spot any more errors or have more suggestions.

      Cheers

      Cen Wei

      Delete
  2. Dear Cen Wei,

    Thank you for this letter. It is clear, concise and quite informative, especially in term of your communication skills. I appreciate the specific examples of a strength and weakness. At the same time, I feel you might have given a bit more detail of your motivation for studying engineering from the start.

    You do present your ideas fluenty here. Still, there are a few minor issues to take note of:

    1. punctuation
    -- for me however, is my lack of communication > ?

    2. verb forms
    -- It had always been my weakness since young, > (verb tense) It haS been my weakness since I was young,

    3. use of caps
    -- Best Regards > ?

    I appreciate your effort and look forward to reading more of your writing.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone

      Thank you for taking your time to read through my letter. I am glad that you enjoyed having specific examples of my strength and weaknesses.

      I am also grateful to you for your suggestions and for pointing out issues in my letter, and I have implemented it accordingly. Please do highlight it to me if you spot any more issues or have more suggestions.

      Cheers

      Cen Wei

      Delete
  3. Dear Cen Wei,

    I enjoy my time while reading your letter. By coincidence, I also have the same weakness as yours. As a quiet person, I barely speak to someone. During these situations, I am always in dilemma if I should start a conversation or not. Maybe we can help each other out since we have the same weakness.
    As Brad and Derrick have given some decent feedback in terms of language use and some issues, I think there's nothing more to say. I hope that you will achieve your goals by the end of this module and good to know you.

    Best wishes,
    Thazin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Thazin

      Thank you for taking your time to read through my letter. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time reading my letter.

      I am also glad to see that I am not alone in having such weaknesses, and would be more than happy to help each other out. I too hope that you would be able to achieve your goals through this module, and it is nice to know you too.

      Best wishes

      Cen Wei

      Delete

Critical Reflection

My goals for general communication modules have generally remained unchanged throughout my polytechnic and university life. The goals are t...